A look back at 2011
Your family here at Adopt-a-Pet.com would like to wish you a happy and healthy holiday season, full of lots of adoptions! Thank you for everything you do to make this world a kinder place for homeless animals. We say it every year, but every year it is so true: You are truly heroes, and is it our greatest wish that Adopt-a-Pet.com makes your job easier.
We want to thank our pet-loving friends at Purina and Bayer for their deep support of the animal welfare cause, and their constant desire to help us find new ways to support you in your work. Both companies put an impressive amount of resources and time into helping shelters in so many ways, and they are the primary reason Adopt-a-Pet.com can do what we do as a free service for you and to the public.
So many wonderful things happened in 2011! Adopt-a-Pet.com continued to grow by huge leaps in many ways: site traffic, exposure for your pets on our new partner sites, and lots of new features! Here are some of the highlights:
- Volunteer opportunity posting tool –You can now add your shelter or rescue’s volunteer opportunities for volunteers near you to see. Only volunteers who have registered on Adopt-a-Pet.com (more than 17,000 registered) are able to view your opportunities. When a volunteer expresses an interest in your opportunity, we send you an email with a link to their volunteer profile.
- Pet description template tool – As a time-saving feature requested by our shelters, we added the ability to save up to five templates per species! If you use the same text in the description field for many of your pet listings, like contact information for different foster homes or a link to your application, you can save it in a template and automatically insert that text into the pet-description field when you’re adding pets.
- Pet details page redesign – To show-off your amazing pet photos, we completely redesigned the pet details page layout. Now adopters are now instantly captivated by a full-size photo front and center when they view your pet’s page, and can more easily see your contact information too.
- Your Pet List on Facebook – You can now feature your Adopt-a-Pet.com pet list directly on your Facebook Page, using our Portable Pet List tool and the step-by-step instructions found here.
- Easy Email Newsletter service – We partnered with MessageSherpa to offer you the ultimate communication tool, making it quick and easy for you communicate with your supporters! With this tool you can put together great email newsletters in just minutes, embed pet photos & information from your Pet List, choose from hundreds of articles from the Adopt-a-Pet.com library to insert with just a click, and many more features… including free professional graphic design of your email newsletter template.
- Shelter Knowledge Center – Our new blog at http://www.adoptapet.com/shelterblog launched to share helpful articles for shelters and rescues from experts on topics in animal sheltering, nutrition, health, adoptions & PR, and donations.
We also found new ways to get your pets seen by millions of people! In 2011 traffic to Adopt-a-Pet.com of people using the site to find pets to adopt increased to over 1.8 million unique visitors each month! Here are a few more highlights:
- New partner sites showcasing your pets – In 2011, we added more high-traffic web sites to the list of partners who feature pet searches powered by Adopt-a-Pet.com. As you know, you can choose to have your adoptable pets appear on any or all of the sites automatically. New partners include PeopleSavingPets.org, Purina ONE, Purina Pro Plan Rally To Rescue Facebook, and PetSmartCharties.org. Existing partners, of course, include MarthaStewart.com, Petcentric.com, Dog.com, MightyDog.com and PetHarbor.com.
- Celebrity Billboard and TV campaigns – In 2011, we began launching regional adoption-promoting billboard and public service announcement campaigns featuring local sports heroes. These regional campaigns are designed to bring attention to all of the shelters and rescue groups in a certain community, and to encourage citizens to come to Adopt-a-Pet.com to see the pets waiting for adoption in those shelters. If you haven’t seen us in your city yet, you very well might in 2012!
Adopt-a-Pet.com was also working hard to help you save money and get donations:
- Veterinary Care Grant Fund – Thanks to Purina Veterinary Diets®, the Adopt-a-Pet.com Veterinary Care Fund provided twenty-five grants, totaling $50,000, to U.S. and Canadian animal welfare organizations, to help them with their veterinary care costs.
- Care2.com America’s Favorite Animal Shelter contest – In 2011, we once again partnered with our friends at Care2.com to present the fourth America’s Favorite Animal Shelter contest. This great contest gives all qualified shelters and rescues who post pets on Adopt-a-Pet.com the chance to win donations that totaled $30,000.
- Discounts from our sponsors and partners – In 2011 we were so happy to be able to offer our shelters and rescues so many amazing discounts and donations! Our compassionate sponsors and partners offered Adopt-a-Pet.com shelters and rescues reimbursement of thousands of dollars for products you purchased for animals in your care, discounted pet health care products, free music CDs, and so much more! We are always looking for ways to save you money so you can help even more homeless pets.
We always enjoy taking a look back at the year to see all we’ve accomplished in reaching our goals, but now we will turn our focus to 2012. As always, we are determined to work as hard as we can to help you promote your adoptable pets and to support your work in other ways as well. We welcome your suggestions and your comments! Again, we thank you for everything you do to save lives. You have our unwavering respect and gratitude.
With much love,
Your Adopt-a-Pet.com Family
Abbie, David, Jeff, Jennifer, Katya, and Laurie